The Oklahoma City Law firm, Burton Law Group, P.C., was founded by the Late Lew Gravitt in 1992. Today, the firm is the people’s choice for personal injury attorneys, social security attorneys, and workers compensation attorneys. The firm serves all of Oklahoma and has offices in Oklahoma City, Walters, and Tulsa.

There are many attorneys in Oklahoma City but our firm gives every case the attention it deserves. You are not just another case in our office but rather someone we will treat like a family member. We will work tirelessly to pursue the benefits you are entitled to and we remain accessible throughout your case. Whether you have a car accident, social security disability claim, or workers compensation claim, we are here to help. People choose our law firm over others because we are extremely passionate about pursuing the rights of our clients – and about pursuing the maximum compensation possible under the law. We approach the case in a very personal manner. We talk to our clients, answer their questions and keep them updated throughout the legal process. Passion for Oklahoma City and the people who make it a great place to live.

Burton Law Group can provide services in a broad range of areas:

  • Auto Accidents
  • Construction Accidents
  • Medical Practice
  • Personal Injury
  • Truck Accidents
  • Bankruptcy
  • Defective Product Injury
  • Nursing Home Abuse
  • Defective Product Injury
  • Slip and Fall Injuries
  • Workers Compensation
  • Boat Accidents
  • Employment Law
  • On the Job Injuries
  • Social Security Disability
  • Wrongful Death

We’re also passionate about our town, Oklahoma City, and the people who make Oklahoma a great place to live. Naturally, we are keen to pursue the rights of our people. We will always answer any questions you have regarding your case and utilize our resources to obtain the best outcome possible for you.

In 2016, our firm was instrumental in helping undo a great injustice passed into law at the request of a few irresponsible employers. The Oklahoma Supreme Court struck down the Opt Out Act on September 13, 2016, as an unconstitutional special law. Dillard’s department store opted out of the Oklahoma Workers Compensation Act when it became lawful to do so on February 1, 2014. Subsequently, many injured workers were denied benefits that would have otherwise been due under the Workers’ Compensation Act. Employers were allowed to deny claims and if the employee sought an appeal the appeal was decided by Dillard’s much like the fox watching the hen house.

Though there are no guarantees, with the Burton Law Group, P.C., you can be confident that you have a capable and tenacious law firm at your side. We will devote our time, dedication, and all the resources necessary to pursue the best possible outcome for you.

Phone (800) 257-5533(800) 257-5533 for a free consultation with an Oklahoma City injury lawyer from The Burton Law Group, P.C.

An Injury at Your Residence – Understanding Your Homeowner’s Policy

By September 1, 2015Other

Have you ever needed to make a claim on your homeowner’s policy? Typical, more common things that occur include leaks and water damage, flooding, mold, and maybe fire/smoke damage. But have you ever thought about what happens if someone is injured on your property? If you own a business property (commercial real estate), you could be the subject of a premises liability lawsuit.

But in the case of your own home, it’s wise to know what happens when a visitor is injured there. Let’s say Aunt Margaret visits and trips on your stairs to the porch. You may or may not have a handrail. What is your responsibility? Now, Aunt Margaret may love you dearly and not sue you or make a claim. But what about the UPS delivery man whose foot gets caught on a loose board in your steps, causing him to fall. Hmmmm…. Now what?!

The first thing to do when an injury occurs on your property is to examine and record the severity of the injuries. Do they need an ambulance or a ride to a walk-in clinic, or emergency room? Or do they just need to see their own doctor the next day? It’s important to take pictures and notes right when the incident happens. If you can, you should get the injured person to initial your notes or sign them to show agreement, or at the minimum, to state verbally in front of at least one witness that “this is what happened, and this is my injury/ how I feel.”

These incidents are obviously a sticky situation. A lot depends on the relationship you have with a person who got injured. If it is a stranger or mere acquaintance, they are more likely to want to make a claim. It is you the homeowner who decides (and do so within a couple days) whether or not to file a claim on your Homeowner’s Insurance Policy. If you know the person well – they are friends or family – you may just offer to cover their doctor visit or visits. You have to look at the amounts and determine which is better for you financially – what is your deductible on your Homeowner’s insurance policy?

It’s really important to know what your policy covers. How much will the injured person be needing/demanding? It could be more than your policy allows, depending on your coverage. And depending on their level of injury. That’s when things can get complicated, and even unpleasant. So being knowledgeable in advance will help you. Review your policy now and ask your insurance agent if you have any questions.

The next step after the injured person seeks medical treatment or leaves your property is to contact your insurance company and report the incident. If injuries were substantial you will be assigned to an insurance adjuster. He or she will not only speak to you by phone to take your claim but will probably visit your home and speak to you in person. You should provide any notes and pictures you have from the day of the accident.

If an injury occurs on your property, once medical attention has been seeking the next thing to do is to contact your insurance company and make them aware of the incident. For minor injuries, the report can be done over the phone. But if the injuries were more substantial the claim will most likely be given to an insurance adjuster, who will probably want to meet with you and visit your property. Once an insurance adjuster has been assigned to your case it is out of your hands. They will speak to any witnesses and medical professionals involved, and get a copy of medical records for all treatment. The claim won’t be closed until treatment for the individual is complete or any long-term medical needs have been determined.

Your homeowner’s insurance company will pay for the injured person’s medical expenses, lost income, pain, and suffering, and if applicable—permanent disability. There could be punitive damages if it is determined that you the property owner were willfully careless or negligent. Claims like these can end up in court. You can avoid these legal claims by properly maintaining your property, warning guests of any hazards, and understanding your homeowner’s policy – as well as increasing your coverage to the highest and best that you can afford.

Our Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys are happy to answer questions about premises liability or homeowner’s coverage. We are here as your legal resource for Oklahoma injury cases.

About Burton Law Group

Our legal team brings you a wealth of experience in car accident, social security disability, workers compensation and employment cases. We can also handle bankruptcies for businesses and individuals.

Leave a Reply